Thursday, March 17, 2011

Eastern Redbud

I posted recently on how around here spring has sprung. At the time I was eagerly waiting for a tree in my backyard to bloom also. Finally it started blooming so I headed outside this afternoon to snap a few pics.


Last summer a local nursery was have a huge sale because they were unfortunately going out of business. I decided to take a look and get some plants to pretty up my backyard. Majority of my backyard is concrete so I was looking for shrubs and trees that could grow easily in large pots. I found a Japanese Red Bud and decided to try it out. At the time there were no flowers on it since it was late summertime so I have been waiting and waiting to see how it would look this spring. I was starting to get nervous because the tree was basically bare all winter and I was pretty sure I had killed it in a heatwave at the end of the summer (the leaves all shriveled up). And in addition to the heatwave I may have forgotten to water it... But much to my delight, it recently started popping up all these pretty flowers! Success!


I've never been much of a green thumb which is why I'm kind of excited that I didn't kill this tree. Not like my tomato plants that I got at the same sale. That's a story for another time though...

No comments:

Post a Comment